Conference on Social Protection in Dhaka
9th - 10th October, 2011
Call for papers and paper submission
SUBMISSION OF PAPERS AND ABSTRACTS
The organizers invite abstracts and/ or complete papers within the themes given by the conference objectives, and the topic areas defined as follows:
- Social protection strategies as part of a modern poverty reduction agenda;
- Social protection’s wider transformational function in addressing the root causes of poverty, deprivation and under development;
- Social Safety Nets’ (SSNs) role in limiting vulnerability, and especially, the mitigation of climatic and other environmental risks;
- Alternative SSN graduation approaches from poverty;
- Securing food security and nutrition;
- The political economy of social protection reforms;
- Institutional issues and the social protection reform process;
- Financing of SSN reforms and delivery assistance modalities.
Submissions can be from a variety of perspectives - theoretical, empirical, methodological, and/ or policy orientated. The submission of detailed project experiences (provided in report form) would also be welcome in addition to more formal research papers.
REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL SUPPORT
For registration please complete the attached standard form. This should be emailed (or posted) to UNDP at the addresses given. Details of accommodation and travel options will be returned by email (or post) to registrants.
A number of travel and lodging grants will be made available to presenters, who are unable to meet their own costs (for flights and accommodation). These will be awarded on the basis of needs and the quality of the submission. If you require assistance please check the appropriate box on the form provided below and attach a supporting statement (these documents should be emailed or posted to the organizers). Any queries on these issues should be directed to contact Richard Marshall at UNDP Bangladesh (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The event will be overseen by a management committee comprising members of the key stakeholders: UNDP, the Government of Bangladesh (Planning Commission), WFP, AusAid and DFID. Additionally, two institutional partners, the Power and Participation Research Centre (PPRC) and the Brooks World Poverty Institute (BWPI) will attend as ex-officio members.
A Technical Committee will be responsible for selection of papers/ presentations and will shape the content of the plenary and breakout sessions. This technical committee will be led by the institutional partners. Its membership is given below:
|- Dr Hossain Zillur Rahman, PPRC
||- Dr Shamsul Alam
|- Professor David Hulme, BWPI
||- One additional PPRC member
|- Richard Marshall – UNDP
||- One additional BWPI member
- Deadline for receipt of abstracts (and applications for financial assistance): 4th September, 2011
- Acceptance of abstracts confirmed by: 8th September, 2011
- Deadline for receipt of final papers: 14th September, 2011
- Deadline for conference registration: 21st September, 2011
- Conference dates: 9th – 10th October, 2011